Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Faith's Foundation - Luke 13-16

The story of the rich man and Lazarus ends with an alarming truth. The rich man, now in Hell, was conversing with Abraham, who was in paradise with Lazarus. The rich man requested that Abraham send Lazarus to warn his five brothers lest they also die and end up in dreadful torment as well. Abraham replies, “They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.” In other words, they have the Scriptures, and the Scriptures are sufficient for salvation.

Paul expressed this to Timothy in 2 Tim 3:15, “and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” Also, he says in Romans 10:17, “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” The foundation of faith is the Word of God! Faith springs from the written revelation of God! No other source will suffice to produce saving faith in the heart.

In fact, the rich man continues to plead with Abraham, “No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.” Abraham corrects the misleading thought of the rich man and says, “If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.” Not even the miraculous will produce faith! Faith comes by grace through the means of the Word of God!

It is interesting that Jesus is telling this story, and He did come back from the dead! Though his resurrection is historically verifiable, people still reject Jesus today. The ones who believe in Jesus have believed what has been revealed about Jesus in the Word. Faith’s foundation is the Word of God!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a new thought for me, or at least one captured in a succinct way: "already now" and "not yet". I saw this in a note in the ESV for Luke 13:21, the verse about God's Kingdom being like a tiny bit of yeast in a great deal of flour. It's also mentioned in the note for Luke 17:20-37. I think I remember Bro. Wil describing our sanctification with these same words: "already now and not yet". I sure have a hard time holding onto those two thoughts together! I think the reality of "not yet" for both Kingdom and sanctification is just that much easier for me to see. Every once in a while though I catch glimpses, His Kingdom in the middle of my sisters and brothers, and even when I am surprised by a sanctified action or response in myself--whoa! That was His grace, not my own inclinations!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis