Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In Between Faith - Mark 9-12

When Jesus comes down from the Transfiguration, he finds his disciples and a crowd perplexed and in a stir. A father had brought his demon-possessed son to the disciples, and they could not heal him. This boy had been in a terrible fix since early in his childhood. It was a violent possession, and often caused the boy physical harm and danger. So he pleads with Jesus, “But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” Jesus replies, “If you can!” (As if to say, “Do you know who you are talking to?”) He continues, “All things are possible for one who believes.” (As if to say, “Do you believe I can do this for you?”) The father then makes a statement to which we can all relate, “I believe; help my unbelief!” He was in between faith. He did believe to a degree or he would not have been there, he would not have asked Jesus anything! However, he must believe more. He must believe beyond Jesus can to Jesus will.

One wonders why the father didn’t fully believe. Was it because this had been going on for so long? Was it because if the disciples couldn’t help, maybe his son was beyond help? Was it because this demon was so violent maybe this one was too strong to defeat? Maybe. Probably, though, the father’s lack of faith had more to do with this being his own flesh-and-blood son. Yes, he had seen and heard of others being healed, but this was his son! We often find ourselves in this state of in between faith, and it usually applies when the demand of faith hits close to home. We believe for others to be saved, but we question if our loved one will be saved. We believe for others to get answers to prayer and strength against temptation, but we doubt so easily when it is us in need! Let us pray as this father did, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

1 comment:

  1. I find great comfort in the mercy given to the father when all he could respond was, "I believe, help my unbelief!" So, so often that is about the level of my faith too! I am willing to believe, I've seen God do amazing things before, I'm grateful for the prayers answered for me in the past, but, but, but. . . I have no right to disdain the Israelites or the disciples for their quick return to disbelief, because I'm there too.

    I have often been stuck between the "I know He CAN" and the "I know He WILL." Part of my reluctance to state the second is that I have been repulsed by the (what word??) arrogance, presumption, lack-of-belief-in-a-sovereign-God, selfish demanding of a segment of Christianity that "claims" that God is obligated to answer my prayers to MY liking. That just doesn't make any sense to me. And so I hesitate to say, "He will!" because maybe (usually) my Father's plans are way beyond what I can see right now, and my request just doesn't fit with what He's doing, and there is a perfectly good reason for the way He answers. Cancel the "maybe" and the "usually". He always is way beyond me, and He always has a "perfectly good reason"!!

    I suppose every Christian for a couple of thousand years has asked the same kind of questions, yes?

    I appreciate your good thoughts on this, Bro. Wil. Any further insight?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis