Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mistreating the Holy - Num 17-20

Sometimes it seems to us that God’s punishments are way too severe, or, the punishment doesn’t fit the crime. Like when God banishes Adam and Eve from the Garden for eating an “apple,” or, when Moses is not allowed to enter the Promised Land because he struck the rock instead of speaking to it. Our first reaction may be, “Why so severe God?”

Of course, as evangelicals, we know that God does no wrong, so if His judgments seem out of line, there must be another answer. It is just as logically a possibility that God is not overreacting in these cases and that the punishment does fit the crime! It is more likely the case that our finite, fallen minds just do not realize it is an infinite, horrendous offense to God when we disobey and treat the “holy” with disrespect. In other words, we think God to be too severe only because we have not yet understood the gravity and seriousness and immeasurable grace of communing with a Holy God!

So what was the big deal about the rock? The Lord said speak to the rock and enough water will come from the rock to satisfy the entire people and their animals. The rock, then, was to symbolize God’s sufficiency for His people in the face of impossible circumstances. Paul says the Rock was Christ (1 Cor 10:4). Just as there was plenty of water found in a rock, there would be sufficient salvation found in Christ! The rock and the act of calling forth water from the rock, therefore, was holy, and Moses struck the “holy.” Is it really then an overreaction for God when Moses defies God’s instructions, acts out of anger, and in front of everyone mistreats what God intended as a holy symbol of His sufficiency? Not really. Let this remind us to treat the things of God with utmost respect and awe, for He is holy!

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ, my Rock, Who was struck for me once for all on the cross! No further need for sacrifice, all I need is to confess my sins, to "speak to the Rock" and He is "faithful and just to forgive [me my] sins and to cleanse [me] from all unrighteousness."
    (I John 1:9) What a beautiful picture of His Son God was drawing in the Old Testament, and Moses scribbled on it because of his anger at the people!

    It makes me wonder what pictures God is drawing with my life and whether I am cooperating in His masterpieces??

    There is another warning in that story.
    Moses was the meekest man that ever lived (Num.12:3)-- humble, not proud, not looking for the honor of leadership (Ex. 3:10), glad to have others be honored (Num.11:29), quick to pray for others who had hurt him (Num.12:13)-- but anger had been building for Moses. How quickly our enemy can twist righteous anger into a destructive rage that he relishes! Dangerous stuff! I know it.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis