Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Take Your Places! Num 1-4

The book of Numbers begins with a lot of numbers! It is far too easy to get lost in all the detail of these opening chapters. The numbering of those men able to go to war, the arranging of the tribes around the tent of meeting, and the duties of the Levites, it is easy to get bogged down and wonder, “What’s the point?”

A help for application is to recognize that different genres of writing require different approaches. Take for example the difference in a passage from one of Paul’s letters and the passage for today from Numbers. Paul’s letter is didactic. The passage in Numbers is history. For Paul’s letter, the point is in the details! He is teaching, so every word, phrase, and paragraph is building his argument and taking us to a conclusion. We must pay careful attention to every detail. On the other hand, history is not this way. The point is not in the detail but in the overall picture. The point is not that Zebulun had more men ready for war than Issachar! The point in passages like this one is the big picture.

When it comes to passages like this, we need to take a step back from the text and ask, “What is the main movement of the passage?” A couple of things stand out in today’s reading. First, everyone had a place; everyone had a job! The details demonstrate that this was an ordered society. God was positioning them in order for their service unto Him! Second, the people took their places; they embraced their assignments! This was one of the happier times in Israel’s history because the people were obedient and compliant. Num 1:54 says, “...They did according to all that the Lord commanded Moses.” God was directing them to their places, and they were taking them; that’s the point!

2 comments:

  1. grrr. I had a whole paragraph typed and then typed something wrong and it is gone. Patience.

    I think that you have hit the nail on the head for me again, Bro. Wil. I love the history and the STORIES in the Bible. Yes, even how the camp was set up and how many extra firstborn sons there were compared to the number of Levites! I get into the details and love digging. BUT when I get to the teaching parts of the Bible, well, I bog down with every WORD being so important. Maybe my love for the stories parts is because that is what I have taught to children? I always know my lessons MUCH better when I have taught them to someone else!! Maybe I love the stories because I am such a child myself?? I know (parts of) the O.T. MUCH better than the N.T. And some of the most important parts, that I SHOULD be able to find and to explain at this point in my Christian walk, well, I've neglected that part of my studies! I should be slowing down to really THINK just at the point when I find myself wanting to speed up to get on with the rest of the plot!!
    Embarassing confession. Any suggestions, my brother??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would only say there is no need for you to worry! We are all wired and geared differently, so we are naturally going to respond to different types of texts. There is plenty to learn from all parts of the Bible, and maybe God composed the Bible with such different genres in order that all people could be nourished and equipped!

    You are doing great! I wish we all studied as diligently as you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis