Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Saturday, March 13, 2010

More About the Coming Prophet - Deut 33-34

Earlier in Deuteronomy we learned that the prophet like Moses who was going to come had these two traits in common with Moses: he would come from among them and he would be a mediator. Christ fulfilled both of those prophecies. The Incarnation brought forth the Messiah in the likeness of man as a Jew. 1 Tim 2:5 describes Jesus as the one mediator between God and man. Deuteronomy ends with a further description of how the coming prophet would be like Moses in three ways. He would know the Lord face to face, he would perform signs and wonders, and he would display mighty power. Does Jesus meet these criteria as well? The answer would have to be “yes.”

If anyone knew the Father face to face, it would have to the Son! Jesus said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). The Gospel accounts are filled with eyewitness testimonies to the many signs and wonders that Jesus performed among the crowds such as healing all kinds of sicknesses and casting out many demons. Furthermore, just as Moses performed great acts of terror in the sight of Israel, Jesus displayed his power in many awesome ways before the disciples such as the stilling of the wind and waves!

These texts that speak of a coming prophet like Moses were understood by Israel to be messianic prophecies. They were looking for this coming prophet. None of the prophets who came before Jesus fit the description. Nor do any who came after Jesus and claimed to be a prophet! Jesus, though, fit the description perfectly. He came as a prophet like Moses. He is the Messiah. Deuteronomy ends with a longing for the Messiah. When the NT opens, we find him in a manger!

1 comment:

  1. It's one of the ideas that I haven't followed through with yet, but I'd like to make a chart of the tribes from each of the times they are listed and include things like: the original meaning of their names, the blessings/curses said about each tribe, the actions and characteristics of a tribe when they acted as a unit, and especially, which ones are left out of a list of 12 (13 when Joseph becomes Ephraim and Manasseh). For instance, Deut. 33 + 34 leaves out Simeon and Issachar. I wonder why?

    Two verses I especially love in this section, because of the promises of my Father Who says, "I will never leave you or forsake you", which shine through these portions as well are 33:12 and 33:27.
    Deut. 33:12 is in the middle of the promise to Benjamin: "The beloved of the LORD dwells in safety. The High God surrounds him all day long, and dwells between his shoulders." And Deut. 33:27 comes later, "The eternal God is your dwelling place and underneath are the everlasting arms..."
    Underneath me, all around me, God, the High and Eternal God, dwells in me, and I dwell in Him. WONDERFUL reality!

    ("The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" has those words too: "underneath me, all around me... is Thy love". It's running through my head in snatches just now.)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis