Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Monday, January 11, 2010

Collecting Gods

The man Jacob, the deceiver, is clearly favored by God from pure grace. The Lord has a plan for the nations, and he is carrying out his promises through Jacob. Even though he doesn’t deserve these graces, everywhere he goes he finds that God is there and at work in his life! So when he flees from Esau, whom he cheated twice, God appears to him in Bethel and makes the same promise to him as he made to his grandfather Abraham. God is going to bless his offspring and through his offspring bless all the families of the earth! Then on his way to meet Esau years later, Jacob wrestles with God and lives to tell about it!

Jacob clearly knows which god is God. For this reason, it is somewhat surprising to find how he has allowed his family to follow and embrace other gods. It started with Rachel stealing household gods from her father, but evidently, it continued through his children as well. When God calls Jacob to return to Bethel, the place where he first met with him, Jacob calls for his family to “put away the foreign gods that are among you and purify yourselves.” That tells me that Jacob knew these were false gods, but he allowed and tolerated the collecting and adoring of these gods in his family! Sadly, we do the same. We allow our lives to get cluttered with other gods! We know they are false. We know only God will satisfy. But we tolerate and adore them anyway!

The bright side however is that when God called Jacob back to Bethel, he did call for a time of purification! He prepared himself and his family to meet with God. That’s great leadership for a father! We need to do the same! We need times of personal and family purification where we clean our lives before the Lord and prepare to commune with him and meet him!

2 comments:

  1. And just what are the gods in my life?? If I look at the checkbook entries, the credit card billing sheets, and keep a log of my activities hour by hour for a week, they become easier to see. . .
    I love the HOPE of Jacob's return to Bethel, to remember the God Who has brought him so far. I also love seeing the father and husband leading his family to worship God together.

    Here are some notes I made on this same chapter.
    Lessons in seeking restoration of fellowship with God:
    1. Remember His grace in the past.
    2. Tell all who are influenced by myself what I intend to do and why.
    3. Discard any gods that hold me back.
    4. Purify myself before God. (I Jn. 1)
    5. Make positive, active steps to change my environment. (idols, clothes, jewelry equivalents)
    6. Go back to my Bethel and build an altar there.
    7. Honor GOD, Who makes returning, repenting and renaming possible. Honor the "El" of Bethel.

    Seems like the name Israel never really sticks to Jacob. Even God calls him Jacob later on (ch.46). Since the two names have such very different meanings, it seems like this ought to be significant. Any thoughts on this? I've been looking at name changes in the Bible, some are readily adopted (Abram-Abraham) and others aren't (Solomon-Jedidiah). Is this significant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always associated the name change as being illustrative of the inward change God has brought about in the person. Just my thought though.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis