Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ear Piercing - Ex 21-24

Justice is the main theme of the list of laws beginning in chapter 21. At the top of the list is how masters were to justly treat their servants. After six years of service, the servant is to be set free unless he willingly desires to remain in service to the master indefinitely. At which point the master would pierce the servant’s ear marking the servant as permanent property of the master.

Over in Psalm 40:6, David makes a statement about holes in his ears. “Sacrifice and offering you have not desired, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.” Let’s answer two questions here.

First, why does David say God does not desire sacrifice and offerings? After all, God did command these things. Sacrifice and offerings are given as a result of sin and in an attempt to maintain fellowship with God. Thus, God doesn’t want sin and continued disruption of fellowship. God wants His people entirely and completely for Himself without interruption!

Second, what does it mean “given me an open ear?” The Hebrew phrase is literally “dug an ear.” I believe David is recalling the law of Exodus 21 and essentially saying, “God, my master, has made me his permanent possession! He has pierced my ears!” In other words, we could never make ourselves permanently and completely God’s because we continue to sin. We would have to continue to make sacrifice and offering. However, God could make us permanently and completely His by grace! And He has done so through the final sacrifice of His Son! If we believe in Christ, our ears are pierced! We are slaves of God through Christ forevermore!

2 comments:

  1. That's good, Wil! I'm so glad to be His permanent possession!

    Now the reading gets a bit tougher--at least for me! I have to pray hard for a clear focus whenever the text is not narrative! And, I don't keep slaves or aggressive oxen, I'm not likely to charge excessive interest or to be in a judicial position, or to dig large pits + leave them uncovered. Unfortunately, I also cannot attend the three main festivals of Israel in Jerusalem! And I've never heard of a recipe for young goat meat in a creamy gravy!

    BUT there are other commands that I can easily see have applicability to my life:
    -I need to be careful to be kind to the helpless and friendless (sojourners, widows, fatherless) because God is full of compassion. (22:21-24, 23:9)
    -I need to be careful to not "curse the ruler of my people" by my scorn + prayerlessness. (22:28)
    -I need to be quick, cheerful + generous in my giving to the Lord. (22:29)
    -I need to be ready to help + treat with respect people I don't really like very much, or who don't like me! (23:4+5)

    Wouldn't our justice system be different if God's laws for restitution were part of the penal code? Exodus 21:18+19 has the offender footing the bills and maybe even acting as nurse until the victim is "thoroughly healed"!

    I love tidbits like God sending hornets (23:28) to drive out the enemies before the Israelites. Hornets = weapons for which no man can take credit!

    Why do you suppose God tells Israel that He will send His angel to guard, guide, command and judge? He IS leading them (or pre-incarnate Jesus, The Angel of the LORD is) in the pillar of cloud/fire and giving them His laws. Why the "3rd person" references to an angel, as if He would send a representative of Himself??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suppose to provide further assurance of his protection and provision. We are so dreadfully weak, we need much assurance.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis