Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Prophet and Priest - 1 Samuel 1-4

In reading Deuteronomy one discovers that part of the Messianic prophecy is that the coming Messiah would function in the office of prophet. Deut. 18:15 says, “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you.” In Acts 3:22 it is revealed that the apostles understood Jesus to have fulfilled this prophecy. Jesus was the prophet like Moses who was to come. Peter says, “Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.” Jesus was THE coming prophet. He was the FINAL coming prophet. He spoke the words of God to us.

Now in 1 Samuel one discovers another component of Messianic prophecy. The coming Messiah would also function in the office of priest. In 1 Samuel 2:35 the Lord says, “And I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who shall do according to what is in my heart and in my mind. And I will build him a sure house, and he shall go in and out before my anointed forever.” Hebrews 4:14 reveals Jesus is our final, eternal High Priest. “Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.”

What is the function of a priest? A priest intercedes before the Lord on behalf of the people of God. A priest mediates between a holy God and a sinning people. A priest offers the sacrifice that atones for sin and ushers in forgiveness and reconciliation. This is exactly what Jesus has done and is doing for us! He intercedes for us (Heb 4:15-16). He is the only mediator between God and man (1 Tim 2:5). He offered himself as the final sacrifice for sin (Heb 10:1-18). Jesus is Prophet and Priest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis