Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Famous Last Words - 2 Tim 3-4

2 Timothy is the last letter Paul wrote that was included in the Canon of Scripture. He was in prison and knew that his time on earth was nearing an end. Indeed, it was not long until Paul joined the ever-growing list of Christian martyrs. Therefore, in many ways the words of 2 Timothy were his last words. The last words of a man who knows he is going to die are extremely insightful. They reveal the heart more than any other action or event. Listen to Paul’s famous last words.

“For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing” (4:6-8).

When we see the end in sight, may we be able to declare with Paul, “I have fought the good fight.” May we not spend our small lives wrapped up in the meaningless and temporary, but may we give ourselves to the things that matter for eternity! It will be a fight, but it is a good fight. May we also declare, “I have finished the race.” In terms of the Christian faith, how we end is just as important as how we begin! The Christian life and faith is not over at the new birth. It has just begun! Finally, may we be able to say, “I have kept the faith.” Dying takes away everything we possess, some things are gone forever, some temporarily. There is one possession that death cannot rob us of though, if we have maintained it - our faith!

Let us cling to Christ so that Paul’s last words may be our last words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis