Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Grace to Know and Live - Psalm 85-88

Psalm 86:10-12 “For You are great and do wondrous things; You alone are God. Teach me Your way, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name. I give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify Your name forever.”

When one comes to recognize that the Lord is God and that He is great and does wondrous things, that person has come to faith in Christ. Now he begins the Christian journey, and he will soon find out that just like his new birth, he will only know the Lord and live for the Lord by grace! This is why immediately after making the profession of faith in v10, the psalmist asks the Lord to teach him.

We need grace to know Him more. The eyes of our hearts are shaded and blurred and often focused on worthless things. We need the Lord to speak through His Word, to open our eyes to the Word, to open our hearts to the Word so that we “get” it.

We need grace to live for the Lord. This is exactly why the psalmist follows his request for teaching with a request for his heart, “unite my heart.” When the Lord teaches us, we will walk in His truth. When He unites our hearts to His, we will rightly thank Him and glorify Him.

As believers we want to know Him and live for Him so strongly. It is the desire of our new hearts to glorify Him. Without His grace though, we simply will not. Left on our own, we will live for self. With grace, we will live for Him. Since therefore all aspects of our salvation, new birth and new life, are by grace, God receives all the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis