Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Taste Test - Psalm 33-36

A frequent dinner conversation between my parents and I has now become a frequent dinner conversation between my children and me. It goes something like this: Child: “I don’t like these vegetables.” Parent: “Have you tried them?” Child: “No.” Parent: “Then how do you know you do not like them if you haven’t tried them. Taste them. They’re good. You’ll like them.” Guess what? After a few tries, those green things did grow on me. I now love my vegetables; they are good! (Brussels sprouts excluded, of course!)

Some people treat God like their vegetables. They reason, “I’ll give Him a try, but if things don’t turn out like I want them to, then I’m done with this whole Jesus thing!” So they claim to have made a profession of faith, receive baptism, join the church, and even get involved in a few activities. Then, life comes at them fast and they blame God instead of clinging to Him! They conclude, “Well, I tried religion, but it didn’t work for me.”

The problem with those scenarios is that they tried “religion,” they tried “their own version of God,” and they tried “worshipping a god made on their own image to serve their own ends.” They did NOT try the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Psalm 34:8 “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!”

When you truly “taste” the Lord, when you truly come in repentance and faith and surrender to Jesus Christ, you find nothing in Him but goodness, delight, peace, and joy! It is those who have truly tasted who joyfully declare, “He is good!” Go ahead. Taste and See!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis