Prayer for this Project

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Friday, December 3, 2010

Patiently Waiting - Psalm 37-40

The words “patiently” and “waiting” usually do not occur together unless we are confessing that we were NOT patiently waiting! We grow impatient rather quickly when we are forced to wait. Drive-thru lines at fast food restaurants, waiting rooms, waiting for a special delivery, and the slow driver in front of us all test our patience. Why are we so impatient?

Impatience is more than just a personality flaw; it is sin. Impatience uncovers an ugly truth about our nature, namely, we are selfish and self-centered. Why if those people or obstacles would get out of our way, then we could get what we want right now! You see? Impatience becomes even more disturbing when our it is directed toward God. Our impatience toward God says we believe God should be serving us instead of us serving God. It says that we are on the throne of our lives and not Christ!

Patience, though, quiet, resting, patience toward God communicates a far different message. Patience for God’s will in God’s timing says we know God is Sovereign and Father. He will act wisely, faithfully, timely, in our best interest, and for His greatest glory! Patience says “I trust Him! I submit to Him. I lean upon Him. I want what He wants for me!” That kind of patient resting in the Father’s will comes from the indwelling of the Spirit. We must pray for godly patience and fight against self-absorption!

Psalm 40:1-3 “I waited patiently for the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis